Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Facing My Nemesis

I hate winter, so why do I live in the Midwest?  Hopefully the Midwest thing isn't permanent (although it has been home for my entire life).  Three inches of snow fell over the course of the day and since folks in my neighborhood aren't so good at shoveling promptly I moved today's 3 miler to the gym.  Of course that meant facing my old nemesis - the treadmill. 

Ever since I injured my left knee running on a treadmill two years ago I'm very hesitant to run on one.  However, when I decided to train for a spring marathon I knew I needed to get over that hesitation.  Today's run went reasonably well.  I don't think I'll ever learn to love running on a treadmill.  I'd much rather be outside and actually moving.  I feel like the machine inhibits my natural stride and all runs feel longer and harder. 

Distance: 3 miles
Time: 29:45 (I might have gotten a little antsy toward the end and ratcheted the speed up to sub-8:00 pace for a half a mile just to get done faster.)
Average Pace: 9:55

I made it home by 8:00pm, quickly shoveled a pile of roasted veggies (butternut squash, asparagus and sweet potato) down my throat, and now I'm going to get some quality floor time in with my fur kids and head for bed.

Do you prefer to run on a treadmill or outside?

No comments: