Thursday, February 3, 2011

Blizzard...not the Dairy Queen Kind

I love a good DQ Blizzard as much as the next person (mmm....Heath Bar Blizzard), but the snow variety is not my idea of a good time.  Since my last post I've been a busy girl.  I finished the month of January with a grand total of 55.07 miles and I'm looking forward to kicking the crap out of that number this month.

Quick Recap:

Thursday, 1/27:
Distance: 3.1 miles
Time: 30:00
Avg. Pace: 9:40

Friday, 1/28:
Distance: 4.16 miles
Time: 40:00
Avg. Pace: 9:37

Sunday, 1/30:
Distance: 4.94 miles
Time: 47:55
Avg. Pace: 9:40

Sunday's run was particularly amusing.  I didn't want to go.  It was cold.  I was lazy.  I did it anyway and I'm glad I did.  For some reason, the second half (which is one long uphill street) felt spectacular.  I ran one of those miles in 9:14...I never run a mile that fast on the back end of a run!

February started off with a trip to one of my happy places (aka: the Yoga Studio).  The theme for that class was: Your Comfort Zone.  The instructor encouraged us to step outside our physical comfort zones and try some new poses.  I was fortunate enough to achieve Bound Half Lotus (see photo):

My yoga instructor also asked us to spend a little time thinking about how we approach things that are out of our physical comfort zone.  For example:  Do you get frustrated by those things and refuse to try?  Do you feel uncomfortable, but eventually talk yourself into trying it anyway?  Do you embrace new challenges and throw yourself into them with everything you have?

For me, the answer is a little of all of those things, but I try to either embrace it or convince myself to do it anyway.  What's your approach?

Then came Tuesday and an ugly snowstorm that dropped 5 inches of snow overnight.  Yeah...didn't do anything useful on Tuesday night, but the husband and I did go out to dinner and guzzle a few beers!

If I thought Tuesday was ugly, then Wednesday was outright hideous.  Our entire area got hit by a snowstorm that morphed into a blizzard and dropped another 13 inches of snow.  The massive amount of snow combined with 40mph winds left us with 10 foot snow drifts and a virtually paralyzed city.  It took the husband 7 hours to dig us out of our driveway while I hid inside and worked.  Don't worry...I was a nice wife and made him a huge breakfast as a thank you.

Currently, we're under a wind chill advisory, so running outside wasn't happening today.  I had a date with my arch nemesis new best friend, the treadmill.

Distance: 3.1 miles
Time: 30:00
Avg. Pace 9:40

Now I'm off to celebrate Chinese New Year (aka: The Year of the Rabbit) by spending some quality time with my two long-eared masters!

No comments: