Monday, December 5, 2011

Make It Happen

(source)
I said I was going to be better about working out and taking care of myself.  I tend to be more consistent when I have a goal - and a training plan. So here it is:

Goal #1: Run the Run Into The New Year 10k on 12/31/11.
-I don't really have a goal time for this race. I'm doing it to give myself a reason to run and a time to beat, which leads me to

Goal #2: Run the Great Lakes Expo Run 10k on 01/29/11 in under an hour (or at the very least improve on whatever I do at the New Year's Eve race).

Today is Day 1 of my 8 week training plan.  I got home from work and promptly crawled under the covers for 45 minutes in an attempt to get warm (and let the joys of rush hour traffic dissipate). Finally, I couldn't stall any more.  I pulled my winter running clothes out of the closet and laced up a new pair of Adizero Tempo running shoes since my old ones are due for retirement.
Woo...glistening white running shoes. Must get them dirty!
I headed out into the cold for 3 miles.  The first mile and a half sucked pretty bad due to a not-so-gentle wind in my face, but after a while I was so cold I stopped caring!  The second half of the run was a little better since the wind was at my back.  Overall, it was an okay run.  My pace was a disaster, but that's to be expected since I haven't been running at all lately.  I've got my work cut out for me!

Distance: 3.11 miles
Time: 31:05
Avg. Pace: 9:59

I've got 7 weeks and 6 days left to make this happen.  Wish me luck...and kick my ass if I start showing signs of slacking!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I liked to run enough to use it to set such tangible goals. I promise to kick your ass when necessary as long as you coach me into a bikini this summer...I just want one more year in one.

April said...

I definitely think we twitter buddies need to band together for a fit New Year!