Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Survey

So this little survey is making its way around the blogosphere, so I thought I'd play.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
This is a no-brainer for me.  I don't like egg nog (nor does my stomach), so hot chocolate it is!

(source)
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?
When I was a kid, Santa always wrapped the presents.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
I like white lights. Colored lights are tolerable. Blinking lights drive me insane.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Nope.  It's poisonous to rabbits, so it's banned from this house!

5. When do you hang your decorations up?
Um, about two days after never.  We're always out running around between December 23-26, so there's really no point in decorating.  Also, Walter and Spot would either chew the cord for the lights or knock the whole tree over!  We did decorate one year - Harley just liked to sleep under the tree!

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
I really don't have a favorite.  My family doesn't have any special Christmas food traditions.  If I had to pick something, I'd go with my mother-in-law's shrimp and crab spread.  We always have it on Christmas Eve (and other times of the year as well).

7. Favorite holiday memory from childhood?
It's only a vague memory, but I remember my (then much smaller) extended family cramming into Grandma and Grandpa's basement rec room to open presents and awaiting a phone call from a relative who was studying overseas and couldn't be home for the holiday.

8. What's on your Christmas Wish List?
What I really want for Christmas is this:
(source)
However, I think asking for a $700 road bike is a little greedy, so I went with this:

(source)
9. Do you open gifts on Christmas Eve?
Yep. The husband and I celebrate Christmas with my dad (and the accompanying zoo) on Christmas Eve as well as with my in-laws later in the evening.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
See #5. Although if I ever put that tree up again, the light cord will be hidden better.

11. Snow. Love it or dread it?
I hate snow with a passion.  I don't like driving in it. I hate shoveling it.  I firmly believe that anyone who wants a 'White Christmas' should volunteer to shovel for the rest of us!

12. Real tree or Fake tree?
Fake please.  Real ones make me sneeze!

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
I still wear it!  The Husband (before he was The Husband) gave me a bracelet from Tiffany's that he picked up from the flagship store in New York while traveling on business.

(source)

14. What's the most important thing about Christmas for you?
I'm really not a holiday person, so for me, it's about surviving the season without losing my temper. (Feel free to call me 'Scrooge' or 'Grinch' - I'm used to it)

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
I really don't like most desserts - too sticky and sweet for my taste.  I do like a nice cup of coffee with a splash of Bailey's.

16. What is your favorite tradition?
Buying presents for my in-laws dogs.  After the dogs have unwrapped their presents, they help us open ours.

17. What tops your tree?
See #5 and #10.  I think we have a star as a topper, but I can't remember and I'm not inclined to go digging around in the attic to find out!

18. What do you prefer: giving or receiving?
I like giving.

19. What is your favorite Christmas song?
You're asking this of a girl who avoids listening to the radio between Thanksgiving and Christmas solely to avoid Christmas music.  I actually like some of it, but I only willingly listen to Christmas music on December 24th and 25th.   That said, my favorites are Carol of the Bells and O Holy Night.

20. Candy canes: Yuck or Yum?
I like the miniature candy canes.

21. Favorite Christmas movie?
The only tolerable one out there: A Christmas Story

22. What do you leave for Santa?
Nothing anymore, but I always left cookies as a kid.

23. Do you have a Christmas morning tradition?
Ours has kind of evolved over the years.  The last few years have involved breakfast at my mom's house followed by brunch at the in-laws house.

24. Do you prefer to shop online or in a mall?
Malls make me twitchy.  Amazon is my best friend.

25. Christmas card or Christmas letter?
I've given up on cards this year.  I do love mocking most Christmas letters.

Answer one of these questions in the comments section...or all of them on your own blog.
 

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

oh fun! p.s. We share the same two favorite Christmas songs.