Sunday, January 1, 2017

Hello 2017 (and 1 More Week of Pre-Hab)


Welcome to 2017 - and the last week of Pre-Hab.  I had all kinds of good intentions of posting weekly updates during this phase, but obviously I fell short of that goal.  

However, it's a new year, which means a chance to try (and tri!) again.

I'm not really a fan of New Year's resolutions because they're often unspecific, unmeasurable, and easy to push aside at the first sign of having to do actual work to achieve them.  After reading a really fantastic book last year (The 5AM Miracle by Jeff Sanders), I've moved to more of a quarterly goals system of specific, measurable goals - and concrete steps toward achieving them. 

One of my big goals for the last quarter of 2016 was to get back in the pool/on the bike/in my running shoes.  The first 5 weeks of Pre-Hab certainly weren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's definitely an improvement on where I was.  I feel stronger and my mood has definitely improved, so right there it's a win.

The Pre-Hab goal is obviously a sub-goal of one of my major (read long term) goals: To Kill My A Race, so obviously that sub-goal is spilling over into the first (and second, and third) quarter of 2017.  Hopefully I'll do a better job of documenting my progress toward that giant goal here.  

On that note, I'm off to bed soon because I'm going to attempt an early morning workout tomorrow since I have the day off of work and then I'm hoping to get in the kitchen and do some serious meal prep.

What about you?  Do you like big New Year's resolutions or do you prefer a more short term system?

No comments: