Tuesday, July 12, 2011

It's Called A Stop Sign. It Means That You STOP!

In the spirit of getting back on track, I dragged my booty out of bed at 6:00am today and was on the road by 6:20.  It's been miserably hot and humid for the last couple of days and this morning it was almost pleasant outside!  I was happily trotting along during my first mile and I stepped off the curb to cross a seemingly empty intersection.  Out of nowhere, a car came squealing around the corner, blew through a stop sign (while accelerating), and took a sharp left turn.  Sounds fairly common...since a large number of drivers on the roads these days pretty much suck.  Not so much.  As this charming woman blew the stop sign and turned, she failed to notice that there was a pedestrian in the crosswalk.  That pedestrian was me.   So along with failing to stop, she managed to graze my right side with her car!  She never even slowed down. 



Luckily, I wasn't hurt.  Had I been about a step or two further back, she likely would have hit me head on and thrown me into traffic.  I was stunned.  I was pissed.  Ultimately, I'm grateful that I'm still here and not in a hospital or a morgue.

Thus, my PSA of the day:  Please watch for pedestrians/runners/cyclists when you're driving.  I know you're in a hurry, but would you rather be late or responsible for killing someone?

*steps off soapbox*

After my brush with The Worst Driver In Wisconsin, I continued my run, but I couldn't get back into it.  I think the huge adrenaline surge I experienced sort of sucked the life right out of me.

Distance: 3.24 miles
Time: 32:44
Avg. Pace: 10:07 (my first mile...before the incident, was a 9:42)

I'm determined not to let one horrendous driver keep me from my training.  On the docket for tomorrow: 400 meter intervals.  Ick.  I don't love doing speed workouts, but I do love the results!  Another plus - if I make it out before work tomorrow, it should only be in the 60's! 

No comments: