Tuesday, July 19, 2011

An Early Bird & A Night Owl

After two days of 90+ degree temperatures (and a heat index of over 100), the weather improved a little today and promises to return to near record heat again tomorrow.  In the interest of running at the coolest time of day, I behaved like an early bird (which I am not) and headed out for a run this morning.  It wasn't bad, although I did something I never do.  I took my fuel belt, complete with frozen water bottles, on a ~3.5 mile run.  I'm happy I did.  Having slushy, cold water at my finger tips (yes, I did pour some over my head a couple of times) made all the difference between a good, relatively comfortable run and a miserable one.

Distance: 3.44 miles
Time: 34:17
Avg. Pace: 9:58

source


When I got to work today, I discovered that a heat advisory is going into effect at 10am tomorrow morning and lasting until 9pm on Thursday.  Also, if weather.com is to be believed, it's going to be 85 degrees with 90% humidity at 5am tomorrow.  Serious bummer.  I don't want to run in that...so I'm not going to.

source


After dinner tonight, the husband headed out for 3 miles, so I embraced my night owl tendencies and followed suit and decided to get tomorrow's run out of the way tonight!  I was supposed to be doing a 35 minute tempo run (start out slower, gradually build speed until I touch my race pace or faster for a few minutes, slow down again).  I started out at a nice, easy pace and gradually picked it up. However, rather than backing down, I ended up running the last mile faster than the first two!

Distance: 3.01 miles
Time: 28:43
Avg. Pace: 9:33



Running twice in one day probably wasn't the smartest move in the world, but now I can sleep in a little tomorrow and not have to worry about cramming in a run before work.  And...tomorrow night I start my new yoga class. An hour and fifteen minutes of yoga in this heat should prove to be interesting!  After that, it's going to be a mad flurry of cleaning and packing on Thursday night before I head to Minnesota on Friday night for the Warrior Dash this weekend!

source


Are you an early bird or a night owl?

No comments: