Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Long Weekend, Long Run, Long Post

I love long weekends and this past one was no exception.  My holiday weekend started at 2pm on Friday when I escaped from my office early!  Friday night was spent with The Usual Suspects and a few others, celebrating a friend's new job.  The only draw back?  She'll be moving out of state. My workout for the day consisted of running up and down the stairs doing laundry in the late afternoon/early evening and then shaking my ass on the dance floor.  I assure you, I looked way cooler doing laundry.

Considering how late we got home (or should I say early since we didn't crawl into the house until the early hours of Saturday morning), we got a relatively early start on the mammoth task that is our yard.  When we bought the house almost 3 years ago, we inherited a weed-infested landscaping nightmare.  We've been slowly working to improve it over time, but there's only so much time, money and energy to go around, so it's been slow going.  On a positive note, we successfully planted some flowers and are planning on some serious grass planting next weekend (weather pending).  While we toiled in the yard, brats were cooking happily away (in beer of course) on the grill to reward our hard work.

After dinner, we both suited up to get our long runs for the week out of the way.  Word of advice: Don't try to run less than an hour after snarfing a bratwurst!  It's a recipe for stomach cramps and near expulsion of your dinner!

Distance: 6.05 miles
Time: 1:02:32
Avg. Pace: 10:20

The pace wasn't the best, but considering I spent miles 2-6 trying not to puke, I'll take it.

Sunday morning brought even more fun. the husband and I loaded up a cooler with a bunch of water, packed up some pb & honey sandwiches and hit the road to the northern reaches of Wisconsin to do a little hiking, a little waterfall viewing and a little rock climbing (probably more like bouldering, but hey...it's my blog and I'll call it what I want to!).

Long Slide Falls





 We got home pretty late on Sunday night, so Monday was a day of rest.  Most of the day was spent parked in a lawn chair with a book - my favorite way to laze away a day.  Naturally, I am now a lovely shade of lobster red!

Today was back to business as usual with the addition of the ever-annoying summer cold.  Ugh.  I swear, I sound like I'm hacking up a weasel or something.  I didn't make it out of bed this morning to run before work (wonder if I'll ever achieve that goal), so after riding a desk for 8+ hours I went out for 3 miles (finally getting back to mileage worth running).

Distance: 3.02 miles
Time: 30:10
Avg. Pace: 9:58

I would have liked to go faster, but since I was having trouble breathing through my nose, it just wasn't going to happen.  I'm really want this cold to go away soon, so in hopes of speeding my recovery I registered for another race!   More details to follow!

No comments: