Sunday, March 5, 2017

Choices Have Consequences (Tri Training Base: Week 1)

I'm pretty sure that the next 24 weeks are going to be a lot of hard work - possibly the hardest (athletic) thing I've ever attempted.  It starts off relatively gentle, but just seeing the 3 double workouts each week makes me nervous since getting out of bed in the morning is not my strong suit - and I made it harder on myself by making bad choices on my rest day.

*AM: 20min Power Test
*PM: Warm Up Run and Training Session

I was on the bike just after 5:30am doing a power assessment.  Based on several solid weeks of Sweet Spot Base training, I expected to see at least a small increase in my power numbers.  Nope.  It actually went down a point - which is not cool.  After doing a little research, it's likely that I just had a bad day and tested poorly, so I kept my initial power number and will try again in 4 weeks.

I got out of work late (what else is new?) and had just enough time to stop home long enough to change into gym clothes, get to the gym, and run half a mile as a warm up before my training session.      I had fun doing Australian rows (called that because you're 'down under' a squat bar) and cursed my trainer's existence when she insisted that not only did I have to do lunges, but that I had to pulse 5 times and then jump in the air to switch legs.  My quads were definitely on fire.  I'll get back to you on how my arms/chest/abs feel in a day or so.

Mr. R&R had dinner waiting when I got home, which is good because I took Sloth Week very seriously - eating all. the. things.  A healthy, balanced dinner was definitely in order.

*Rest Day

I started the day with a gentle 20 minute yoga practice - complete with bunny assistance. After work, I stopped at my mom's house to troubleshoot some computer issues.  Now, had I just gone home after that, I would have been fine.  Instead, I decided to meet Mr. R&R and his friend 'The Tea Snob' out for a beer.  A giant pretzel and two IPA's became my dinner.  This was where I went wrong.  I got home late, poorly fueled, and a little buzzed.  I definitely paid for it for the rest of the week.

*AM: 35min Run (w/ 6x30 second speed intervals)
*PM: 1400yd Swim
*AM: Overslept completely and barely made it to work on time.
*PM: 35min Run (w/ 6x30 second speed intervals)

Obviously I didn't make it to the gym this morning, so the run got moved to the evening.  I made a point to hydrate and fuel properly all day so I was able to recover from my poor choices the night before before hitting the treadmill.  The run went well, but I still had to deal with the missed swim.

*AM: Bike (Haku 60min)
*PM: 1400yd Swim (base intervals)

A double day was on the docket due to Tuesday's mishap.  I was on the bike before dawn and still experiencing weird problems with my bike power.  It was incredibly frustrating trying to crank out big power numbers, but not seeing results.  Thinking about it later in the day, I decided that perhaps I needed to reset my bike in the trainer before Saturday's long ride.

Mr. R&R and I hit the pool on Thursday night and I surprised myself by having one of the faster swims I've had in quite a while.  Part of the workout was 8x25 yards of kick drills - that was painful!

*AM: 35min Run
*PM: 1700yd Swim

Those late night swims do note bode well for early morning wake ups.  I was automatically resigned to a really rough Saturday since I needed to get in a 35 minute run before my long ride.  I dreaded the long swim all day.  The workout called for a 250yd warm up, 1200yds continuous, 250yd could down.  I haven't swam more than 500 yards continuously since last summer.  It ended up going much better than expected - aside from some annoying problems with my Garmin skipping laps, adding laps, etc.  I ended up swimming 2000 yards!

*AM: 35min Run
*PM: Bike (Antelope 90min)

Morning came way too fast after that swim.  I tumbled out of bed just in time to throw on running attire and hitch a ride to the gym with Mr. R&R at 8:15AM.  While he was at his weekly training appointment, I was on the treadmill doing the run that would put me back on track for the week.  It was hot, sweaty, and filled with annoying people on surrounding treadmills (I'm looking at you dude - the guy who talks to his buddy so loudly that I can hear you over my headphones and the racket of the treadmill!).

We stopped at Starbucks for coffee and breakfast, laid around on the couch for a while, and then both of us went down to The Cave for our weekly Long Ride and A Movie date.  My ride was 90 minutes this week - his was 2 hours long!  I sweated and pedaled my way through Mr. & Mrs. Smith and when it was over, it was time for a shower and a late lunch/early dinner at Bel Air Cantina since we were both starving!

While we were walking from our car to the restaurant, we saw an adorable dog that was about to dart onto a busy street - and no human in sight!  I quickly grabbed the pup and discovered that he didn't have a human OR a collar!  Another lady stopped to help out and the owners of the hair salon we were in front of let us bring the dog inside while we figured out what to do.  Eventually, we all decided that she'd take him to the pound and she'd update me with any admission numbers, etc.  I figured if he wasn't claimed, my in-laws might be interested in adopting him.

Fortunately, shortly after we sat down, the lady called me and let me know that she'd found his human!  Apparently the little guy snuck away from his doggy-sitter and she flagged her down when she saw the dog looking out the car window!  I'm really happy that he got to go home.

We ran a few errands, spent most of the night hanging out with Walter and Spot, and crashed hard.

Bunny Feet!

*Run: 50min

10+ hours of sleep - and I was still tired!  I finally dragged myself out the door around 2pm for my run.  Once I got going, it was actually pretty good.  I took the same route I did last time I got to run outside, only this time it was much more muddy.  Ugh.  Still, when I was actually able to run, as opposed to picking my way around ankle deep mud puddles, I felt phenomenal - which surprised me considering I had been expecting a slow slog.

We ran a few more errands, made dinner, did a little more laundry, and now it's time for bed - because I seem to do nothing else these days!

What was the highlight of your week?

Week 1 Stats:
Swim:    3400 yards (1.93 miles)
Bike:      40.29 miles
Run:       12.9 miles
Yoga:      1 practice (20min)
Strength: 1 session (30min)

Total Time:      7 hours, 55 minutes
Total Distance: 55.12 miles

February Totals:
Swim:      7,325 yards (4.16 miles)
Bike:        125.45 miles
Run:         29.14 miles
Yoga:       5 practices
Strength:  4 sessions

Total Time:       22 hours, 30 minutes
Total Distance: 158.88 miles

Cumulative Distance: 325.87 miles - approximately the distance from Milwaukee to Cincinnati, OH!

No comments: