Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pace, Pancakes, and Pi Day

So...I jumped the gun a little in my last post. Actual training doesn't start on March 17th. It starts on March 24th, which makes me happy because it gives me an extra week of prep time and I'm definitely going to need it.

Monday: He Loves Me, Therfore He Tries To Kill Me
I think spring, and my masochistic side, decided to make a brief appearance today.  When I left work it was 54 degrees which made running outside for the first time in months an absolute necessity.  Mr. R&R joined me and we ran 2 glorious, puddle-filled miles together. I'd almost forgotten how tough it is to maintain a pace when there's actual wind and terrain involved, but I didn't really mind since I was outside for the first time in months without a having to wear a jacket and gloves. Of course running with Mr. R&R is always a challenge since he's such a speedy thing, and today was no different.  I'm pretty sure that he spent the last quarter of a mile trying to kill me (he says he wasn't) by pushing the pace so hard (between 7:12 - 8:11/mile) - I need to run with him more often!

When we got home, I wanted Mexican food for dinner and Mr. R&R wanted pizza, so we compromised: Mexican Pizza.

Not very pretty, but quite tasty!
Tuesday: Burn = Booty
It was still relatively warm (low 40's) but it rained all day, so running outside would have been more of a steeplechase than a run, so I headed for The Cave and knocked out 40 minutes of Pump and Shred.  It would have been 45 minutes, but I skipped the 5 minute lunge track since I think my legs will be taking enough abuse in the near future.  I went with the heavier weights again for the lunge, chest, and back tracks and it was challenging, but manageable.

Wednesday: If It Doesn't Challenge You, It Doesn't Change You
I really don't like going to the track on Wednesdays.  Why?  Because my tri team has an outdoor group run that leaves from the track every Wednesday night and I always feel like a huge loser for not going with them - even though I don't like running outside when it's cold and I'm monumentally slower than all of them, so I'd inevitably get dropped. I opted out of the track and spent a challenging hour on the trainer.  Somewhere in that hour, the 6 months between now and the Door County Century started feeling very short!

Thursday: Yeowch!
I woke up this morning feeling like I'd done 1000 crunches and been punched in the gut the night before and the sore abs continued all day.  For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how my abs hurt from a bike ride, but then I remembered a little gem from last summer's semi-private bike session with Brent Emery: You need to pedal from your core, not just from your legs.  Well...I guess I did it right then!

I had anticipated a 12 hour day at the office, so you can imagine how happy I was to wrap it up after only 10 hours.  Once I got home, I spent 20 minutes in The Cave doing HardCore Abs and called it a good use of time since I'd originally expected to be taking a rest day today.

Breakfast: It's What's For Dinner
Friday: Swim, Drink, Run
I think I may have mentioned it before, but I can easily be persuaded to blow off my workout plans in favor of drinking beer with the Usual Suspects - especially when one of the Usual Suspects is leaving.  Miss Placed is moving on to a bigger and better job, so it wasn't too hard to convince me to blow off my plans to go for a short run and then hit the pool, to celebrate!

I may have a) had one or two more beers than I should have b) plotted about Mr. R&R's birthday present with his boss and c) agreed to go on a kayak trip this summer.  I also celebrated Pi Day when I got home by ordering a "pizza pie"...and I really like pizza when I've been drinking!
Saturday & Sunday
My body did not get a workout on either of these days, but my mind sure did!  On Saturday afternoon, Mr. R&R and I did our taxes.  The whole thing only took an hour, but by the time we were done, the only thing I was good for was snuggling/napping on the couch with Walter.  On Sunday afternoon I went over to my mom's house to do her taxes.  Apparently I should have started that project sooner because as of now (11-ish p.m. on Sunday night) those taxes still aren't done because I had to get home to meet up with Little Brother so he and I could carpool to my dad's birthday dinner 45 minutes away!

I wasn't a huge fan of the restaurant Dad picked, but it was nice to see Dad, Little Brother, Little Sister, and Would-Be Brother In Law (Tiny Nephew was not in attendance since he's got a bad cold).  By the time I got home from dinner, it was pretty late and I only managed to put in about 30 more minutes of work on mom's taxes.  Looks like I'm adding that to the coming week's 'To Do" List. 

How was your week?  Have you filed your tax return yet?

No comments: