Sunday, February 3, 2013

It Was The %*#!@%$ Treadmill!

What a strange week it's been weather-wise.  We went from a high temperature of 59 on Tuesday, to a combination rain/snow storm on Wednesday, and then into a deep freeze for the rest of the week!  I don't know about you, but I think Mother Nature may be a little out of whack these days!

Monday, January 28: It was in the low 40's when we got home from work, so Mr. R&R and I decided to take a walk - and stop for dinner at one of our favorite local pubs.  I had the Santa Fe Grilled Chicken Sandwich (looked like the picture below except chicken instead of a burger) and a Stella.  Yum!


 Tuesday, January 29: When you live in Wisconsin and it's 59 degrees in January, you move heaven and earth to leave work early so you can enjoy it - and that's exactly what I did.  I got home from work and threw on some running clothes.  After a not-so-brief delay while my Garmin had a temper tantrum, I headed out the door for a few miles.  It felt so good to be running outside again that I didn't even care that it was pouring rain and I was getting soaked.  You know what felt even better?  Figuring out: It's not me! It's the %*#!@%$ treadmill!  My pace, while not stellar, was so much better than what I've been putting up on the treadmill.  Seeing my pace on the road made me feel like I'm not quite as out of shape as I thought, so that was encouraging.

Wednesday, January 30: The original plan for today was to hit The Track after work, but a couple inches of snow and some evil traffic changed my plan to a trainer ride instead.  Instead of my usual YouTube video of choice, I popped an old DVD to keep me entertained for about 30 minutes.  By the time I was done with my ride, the movie had reached a critical point, so I tacked on 10 minutes of core work so I could keep watching.  If you've never seen Spirit of the Marathon, I can't say enough good things about it - and I hear they're making a sequel! (#RunningNerd)


Thursday, January 31: Burned out legs = Rest Day

Friday, February 1: First, I was going to go to the pool, but then it was 6 degrees outside with a windchill of -15. The thought of going outside with wet hair post-swim sounded like a form of torture, so I decided that The Track sounded like a better plan.  Of course this meant stopping home to change since I had swim stuff with me, not run stuff.  Bad idea.  Once I was in the toasty warm house, I didn't want to leave again, so I got a jump on cleaning up the mess that seems to invade my house between Sunday and Friday every week. Yes, I know it's a pathetic excuse. Yes, I will be keeping both swim and run stuff in my bag from now on.

Saturday, February 2: This was my planned rest day since Mr. R&R and I had plans to attack another one of our household deep cleaning/de-cluttering projects. I'm pleased to say that it was a smashing success!  Added bonus: water bottles no longer threaten to fall on my head when I open up a cabinet!

Sunday, February 3: Super Bowl Sunday!  The plan was to go to the gym before heading off to a party, but a minor planning problem found me scurrying off to the grocery store instead, but never fear; we arrived at the party bearing buffalo chicken dip and s'mores bars!

This week wasn't good, but it wasn't a total loss either.  My gym bag is now packed with both swim stuff and run stuff...and I will be working out more next week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's time for a wiggle war here too. Gotta start dropping the "winter fat"