Sunday, February 12, 2017

Finding My Groove

4 weeks into Sweet Spot Base training and I think I'm finally finding my groove - at least for the moment.  I haven't done all the workouts exactly when I planned to do them, but I'm still getting them done.  The biggest challenges right now are getting up on time to work out in the morning and managing occasional bouts of insatiable hunger.


I was on the bike before dawn for an hour of intervals, scurried off to work and a breakfast meeting (involving food that made me nauseous for the rest of the day), stopped home long enough to change and scarf an apple since I didn't want a repeat of my near-fainting episode from a few weeks ago, and hauled ass to my training appointment.  After last week's 4 day post-session misery, my trainer backed off on my abs a bit and we had a productive session.

I also had some company/help while folding the basket of workout clothes when I got home. I'll never get tired of Spot's love of laundry.  He likes to survey the basket/pile of clean clothes, walk across/stand on whatever I'm folding, and then lay next to the folded clothes.


Once again, I failed at getting to the gym this morning, but I did resurrect the Green Monster for breakfast thanks to some leftover spinach lurking in the refrigerator.  It was a nice change of pace from proatmeal.  Tuesday night found me on my yoga mat for a 30 minute flow practice - which I desperately needed.


Since I missed my run yesterday, I hitched a ride to the gym with Mr. R&R again this morning.  I think my body is rebelling against the idea of running so early, because once again, my psoas flared up again after a mile.  I ended up figuring out that I could run about a quarter mile at a reasonable pace before the pain got unmanageable and required me to walk until it was under control, so after a little fiddling with my watch, I was able to turn my crap run into an interval workout.  I ended up running 4x400, getting home with just enough time to shower, make another green monster, and get to work.  The day flew by (work has been C.R.A.Z.Y.) and I got home in time to make dinner and go to the pool.  Swim nights are always tough because by the time I get home from work, I'm freaking starving, but I have no real desire to cook and I don't want to eat too much because swimming + full = feeling like I'm going to puke.  The answer was to indulge my inner toddler.

It wasn't the healthiest option, but it did the trick. I was supposed to swim 1400 yards and ended up swimming 1500. #ExtraCredit


The late swim made me hit the snooze button again, but having to ride in the evening wasn't so bad since Mr. R&R was suffering right next to me doing his missed morning ride as well - and then there was my view for the rest of the evening after I got off the bike:


Can all mornings start like this one?  I was doing yoga on the living room floor with a blanket draped over me because I was freezing cold and Spot decided that this was an invitation to curl up next to me and demand to be petted and snuggled.  It was so sweet!

Normal people have date nights at bars and restaurants on Friday nights.  Triathletes apparently have them at the gym - where one person swims and the other runs.  After last week's successful Friday night long run, I decided to repeat the performance but increase the distance a bit.  It was nice.  The gym was mostly empty and I pretty much had the entire row of treadmills to myself.  It's nice starting to run a little longer again.  I miss my distance running roots.


Sleep. Glorious sleep.  I slept for almost 9 hours, drank coffee and surfed the web while Mr. R&R went to his training appointment, and then parked my ass in The Cave for 90 minutes of over-under intervals.  All I can say is: Holy F**k that was hard.  Like really hard.  When I climbed off the bike, everything I was wearing was soaked with sweat and my legs were jello.  My top priority after 90 minutes of leg-burning sweatiness was food - and then dragging myself to the grocery store.  Ow!

And on the seventh day, I rested.  I slept for upwards of 8 hours, consumed copious amounts of coffee, and washed a mountain of Walter and Spot's laundry.  Still to come today: 90 minute massage (I have so many knots in my back and legs right now), human laundry, and some food prep.  Right now, I'm thinking of making tuna salad and another batch of roasted chicken sausage and veggies to get us through Monday and Tuesday - a good start to what will hopefully be another 'Perfect Week'.

What was your biggest challenge this week?  Your biggest triumph?

Sweet Spot Week 4 Stats:

Swim:     1500 yards (0.85 miles)
Bike:       41.80 miles
Run:        8.87 miles
Yoga:      2 practices (50 minutes total)
Strength: 1 session

Total Time:       7 hours, 5 minutes
Total Distance: 51.51 miles

Cumulative Distance:

213.38 miles - roughly the distance from Milwaukee to the city of infamously contaminated water: Flint, MI.  (Eek!)

No comments: