Sunday, September 15, 2013

No One To Blame But Myself

My seventh, and final, attempt at the Fox Cities half marathon is coming up fast - like 7 days away fast - and I'm not even close to ready.  I haven't run a single step since the Shoreline Duathlon and my excuses are really pathetic:
  •  My whole body hurt for a week after the crash, so I took a week off to let it heal.
  • I went on vacation.
  • Then I just got lazy. I kept telling myself "I'll run tomorrow" and when tomorrow came, I made the same excuse again.
Earlier in the season I had really high hopes for this race, but now it's going to be purely about gutting it out, getting it done, and moving forward.  Today was my last chance to do something resembling a "long run" before the race so Mr. R&R and I planned to head out to Lapham Peak to do a little trail running in the rain.  I know it seems silly to run on a trail when the race will take place on city streets, but this was about the only way I was going to get myself out the door. Ever since we got back from our vacation, I've been craving hills, and trees, and a distinct lack of traffic, so Lapham Peak seemed like a good option. And it has the added bonus of being so damned hilly that it requires walking up some parts - which is probably a good thing since I'm pretty out of shape when it comes to running and I'm 99.9% sure that I will have to do some sort of run/walk hybrid in order to survive Fox Cities.Of course the light sprinkle turned into a torrential downpour, so that was out. I guess I'm just screwed!

My current plan for this race is to run the race I'm capable of on that day (while doing everything I can not to set a new PW) and enjoy my last time on the course that started it all 7 years ago.

No comments: