Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Popsicle or Pop Cycle?

It appears that winter has arrived in Wisconsin with a vengeance.  On Thanksgiving, Mr. R&R and I went for a 5 mile run - in shorts and we were complaining about how warm we were.  And this week the temperatures have plummeted.  I know I need to get off my butt and run, but I've been so cold all week that the mere thought of being outside was enough to convince me that I didn't need to work out and that I'd be so much happier curled up on the couch under a warm fuzzy blanket. 

Cold Weather = Wimp
Obviously that's not going to cut it.  I've already skipped the first two races of the Great Lakes Running Series due to a lack of training and I'd really rather not skip the third!  So tonight I compromised with myself.  Instead of going outside and becoming a human popsicle, I headed down to the basement armed with a killer workout from Frayed Laces and a new Spotify playlist that I like to call 'Pop Cycle'. 

Going into the workout I expected a challenge, but this exceeded all my expectations.  I got my booty handed to me.  By the time I was done, I was dripping sweat and seriously considered going outside in my cycling clothes to cool off!  I also learned that I suck at one-legged drills.  My pedal stroke seems to stall out at the top.  Any experienced cyclists have any advice on that?  I was also reminded that I need to do something about the cleat on my right shoe - it makes an awful clicking/rattling noise!


I figure if I keep plugging away at my bike speed and endurance throughout the winter, I'll be in a better place on the bike when duathlon season rolls around again.  Now if I could just get my act together regarding running!  On a positive note, it's supposed to warm up over the next couple of days, so hopefully I'll be able to get outside.  If not, it looks like I'm going to have to resign myself to running on the indoor track - which is just above the dreadmill on my list of places to run!



2 comments:

April said...

You are soo freakin' dedicated!

Mary said...

Hardly. I've been so lazy and out of sorts since I got back from France. I think I've run twice and been on the bike three times. It's something I'm trying to work on!